Monday, April 13, 2015

Product Review: Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Firm Hold Gel Cream

Hey everyone!

I'm so sorry for being so absent lately! I have been super busy and by the time I got around to writing a blog post, my computer crashed! So I finally have a new laptop and now I am all ready to go!

This week, I will be reviewing Shea Moisture's new Yucca and Plantain Anti-Breakage Firm Hold Gel Cream. This product is a new styler from their newly formulated Yucca and Plantain collection which is meant for frizzy, split, and breaking hair. This gel cream defines waves and curls while providing a firm hold without a sticky or flaky residue. It prevents frizz by hydrating and smoothing the hair cuticle, allowing for soft, shiny curls that last all day long. This collection contains:

-Yucca extract - promotes hair growth for thicker, fuller hair
-Plantain extract - rich in Vitamin B complex and nourishes hair with moisture
-Baobab oil - contains Vitamins A, D, E and F to fortify and strengthen hair
-Garlic - increases blood circulation in the scalp for healthier hair

Freshly washed hair
Overall, this collection has some AMAZING ingredients that help promote healthy and strong hair growth. It is formerly known as the Yucca and Baobab collection that was for fine, thin hair, and it contained biotin, a vitamin that strengthens the hair follicle. The new formula, unfortunately, does not contain biotin and it actually made me really sad when I found this out because that formula was perfect for my hair. However, I found that this collection definitely makes up for the removal of this awesome vitamin by replacing it with other ingredients that fortify hair and aid in healthy hair growth. If they took out the biotin and didn't add anything else, then that would have been pretty sucky. But the fact that they replaced it with other great substitutes definitely makes up for it. But yet and still, I know that my hair absolutely loves biotin and proteins, so that's what I try to look for in my hair products. So when I found out that Shea Moisture's Superfruit Complex 10-in-1 System collection contains biotin, I was super excited! I tried the masque from this collection and LOVED it!! It's definitely a new staple. So if you are like me and you looooooove biotin containing hair products, be sure to check that collection out! Now lets get to the product review for this gel cream!
Wet hair with Gel Cream applied
When I purchased this product, I knew right away that I wanted to do a wash-and-go. I figured it was the best fit style for this product because of its thick and slippy nature, so I figured I would first rate it in its element. To start, I deep conditioned/cleansed my hair with the Shea Moisture Yucca and Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Masque and used their Yucca and Baobab Thickening Growth Milk as my leave-in/detangler. This is a milk from the older collection, obviously. I had some leftover from an old bottle so decided to use it! When applied the masque and leave-in, I made sure to massage my scalp to promote blood circulation and and remove buildup and I also paid close attention to my ends by making sure I applied a little extra product to them and finger detangled softly.
After I cleansed and rinsed, I parted my hair into 4 sections and applied my leave-in, again, paying close attention to my ends. When I began styling with the gel cream, I took one of the four sections, sprayed it with water and applied the product to small pieces at a time. After I finished a section, I scrunched my hair and then continued that process all over my head. When I got to the front sections where I have a looser curl pattern, I coiled my hair around my finger in small pieces to allow for better curl definition. My hair took quite a while to fully air dry, as it usually does, but when it did, it was extremely defined and hydrated. I did have a slight gel cast, but all I did was smooth my hands down my hair and fluff my roots and it was gone! My hair had tons of body and my curls were beyond soft and shiny! Most importantly, when I washed my hair the next week, I had barely any shedding! It was kind of crazy how much the amount of shedding decreased in just one week, so I know for sure that my hair really loves and reacts well to this system, so I will continue to use it in the future.
Dry and fluffed hair
Overall, I was VERY happy with this product. My wash-and-go lasted a full week with my hair gaining more and more body and fullness with each day! I absolutely LOVE this gel cream and this new formula. The masque was also amazing and I want to try the hair lotion this collection also offers!

I hope you found this post helpful and that you gained some insight to this collection. As always, thank you for the support and I will see y'all on the next post! They hopefully will not come months in-between anymore LOL!

To see a video of my results using the cleanser and the cream, check out my Instagram, @naturallykimie :)

2 comments:

  1. After looking at your review I tried the yucca and plantain anti breakage firm hold gel cream and LOVED IT! I put the cantu curling cream under the gel cream and my curls were popping. Also my shedding has be reduced but I haven't tried the masque yet. I wanted to know if the masque help with shedding or was it the gel. Also If you knew about product to help with shedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where you got Shea Moisture Yucca and Plantain Anti Breakage Firm Hold Gel Cream ?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog