Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Natural Hair Spotlight Month: Meet Keith and Travis!

Hey everyone!

We are continuing with Natural Hair Spotlight month this week and focusing on the guys! I have 2 naturalistos (I just made that up) who I interviewed for this week's post! One of them is my brother-in-law, Keith, and the other is my love, Travis! I hope y'all enjoy reading their interviews and learn some valuable things! :) Lets get started!

Meet Keith!


Name: Keith Butler Jr.
Age: 25
How long have you been natural: Forever!
What made you decide to return to your natural hair: I didn't want to look like Katt Williams!
How did your friends/significant other/family react to your decision: *I'll answer this as if you're asking about my decision to start/grow my locs* My family didn't really like the idea of me having locs. They all thought locs were nasty. Krystal (my wife) was the most supportive. She was only hesitant because she liked my short hair.
How do they feel now: My family approves! I guess they see that locs are great when they're taken care of properly.
How is your hair viewed in the workplace/at school/among friends: It seems as if my friends/coworkers/peers don't view my hair any differently than before I had locs. They ask more questions, but that's about it. I think being a musician helps. A different/creative style is what most people expect from creatives.
What is your style of choice: I prefer to have the locs down. I don't really like putting them up in a hair band. Gotta let them breathe!
What led to that decision: I'm not really sure. I like to let my hair do what it does if that make sense. I don't really like letting environments (business, professional, etc) determine what I do with my hair, so I try to go with the flow.
Did you experiment with any other styles before sticking with your current style:I tried one of those braided loc styles, but I'll try it again when my hair is longer.
If you could do whatever you wanted to your hair, what would you do (funky cut, color, etc.): I would cut the locs off the sides of my hair and only have locs up top. Basquiat-esque!
What are your must-have staple products/oils: Water and any kind of oil. I've been using the African black castor oil (coconut scent) recently.
What is the biggest learning curve you have encountered with taking care of your natural hair: Product is bad for retwisting! It only causes buildup. And I can't wash my hair like everyone else. Regular shampoo doesn't clean my locs good enough. I used lemon dish soap last time because it also acts as a degreaser.
What is the biggest life lesson you have learned on your natural hair journey: Our hair is very important. Sacred if you will. Especially these locs. I feel lik they represent bigger things like my commitment to my wife. I'm commited to these locs through the good and the bad hair days. Just like marriage!
If you could change one thing about your journey thus far, what would you change: I would never have used product. It's terrible!
What has been your biggest personal gain since the start of your journey: Just learning how to care for what I've been entrusted with in this life. It takes a lot of TLC to maintain this hair.
Do you think you have inspired any guy friends to go natural or to take better care of their hair: Hmmm. I hope so!
Any advice for anyone considering taking the leap into living a natural hair lifestyle: Go for it! Don't let societal pressures determine how your heart feels. Do it!
Business/blog/social media inquiry info:
Twitter: @killabeets
Tumblr: Keith Butler Jr.
Facebook: " "


                                                                           Meet Travis!
Name: Travis Eaton
Age: 22
Describe your “pre-natural hair” (damaged, dry, etc.): I had waves before, but due to using unhealthy chemicals that were in the products I was using, my hair was thinner in some areas of my head than others.
How long have you been natural:1 year and 1 month
What made you decide to return to your natural hair:I just wanted to have healthier hair.
How did your friends/significant other/family react to your decision:My friends and family tell me that the short hair look is fine so they were neutral. However, my girlfriend, who is the wonderful creator of this blog, was very very supportive of my decision!
How do they feel now:Everyone is happy now. My hair has come back healthier and wavier than ever.
How is your hair viewed in the workplace/at school/among friends:When I go somewhere, one of the first things someone tells me normally is that I have nice hair.
What is your style of choice: My hairstyle of choice is either a low taper or a fade.
What led to that decision: The 2 hair styles I alternate between are just very clean and professional, but at the same time, they still allow me have my waves.
Did you experiment with any other styles before sticking with your current style: No I did not
If you could do whatever you wanted to your hair, what would you do (funky cut, color, etc.): I would think about getting a part again, but that’s about it.
What are your must-have staple products/oils: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
What is the biggest learning curve you have encountered with taking care of your natural hair: Just how often I should wash my hair and how to properly wash my hair.
What is the biggest life lesson you have learned on your natural hair journey: Honestly, the biggest lesson I learned was how hard women have it if they decide to do a big chop. The world judges them and at times it is very hard, but you have to remind yourself that it is a process.
If you could change one thing about your journey thus far, what would you change: Nothing. I wouldn’t change my journey at all!
What has been your biggest personal gain since the start of your journey: Just more confidence and being more comfortable in my skin.
Do you think you have inspired any guy friends to go natural or to take better care of their hair: Yes. A few of my friends have decided to follow my lead. They have started using Shea Moisture, and they ask me for tips here and there.
Any advice for anyone considering taking the leap into living a natural hair lifestyle: Do it! The journey is more than worth it! Besides growing healthier hair, the journey will force you to gain more confidence, so it is a win-win!
:)
Thank you so much for reading! If you have any questions for these guys or any of the ladies I have interviewed in the past few weeks, leave your comment or question in the comment section of their interview post and I will send the question/comment their way and reply to your comment with their response! Thank you again so much for your support! It means the world to me!

Don't miss next week! It is the last Natural Hair Spotlight month post and I have interviews from 3 lovely ladies to share with y'all! And as always, be sure to cast your vote on my monthly poll located on the left under "The Purpose"! The winning choice will be announced on the first post of every month! Again, thank you for the support and I'll see y'all on the next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog